WHO WE ARE
We are a group of people seeking to follow God in the way of Jesus Christ and who are seeking to be a movement for wholeness in a fragmented world.
We strive to be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice.
We strive to be people known by faith, hope, and love.
We strive to embody what Jesus proclaimed as the greatest commandments: to love God with everything we have and to love our neighbors as our ourselves.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and we proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world.
We believe that all people are God's children.
We believe that Communion, also known as the Lord's Supper or the Eucharist, should be celebrated every time we gather and open to all who seek to follow Jesus Christ.
We believe in freedom of belief, allowing the Holy Spirit, through scripture reading and prayer, to guide all who seek to follow God in the way of Jesus.
We believe in the oneness of the Church and pray for the day when all shall be one.
Minister | Cory Glover
Secretary | Sandra VanDyke
Minister of Creative Arts | Kaylan Buteyn
Associate Minister | Zach Hardy
Youth Minister | Bala Boyd
On January 1, 1833, followers of Alexander Campbell (Disciples) and Barton W. Stone (Christian Church), became a unified force for the spread of Christianity. Thus, our two names Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
In November 1833, less than one year after the merger, a preacher from Lexington, Kentucky, J.H. McCall, came to Paris and by the time he had been given twenty-six addresses, twenty-five people had been immersed and a new church was organized.
These faithful people met in homes until 1844 when a small log church building was erected on the corner of the streets now known as Dunlap and East Wood. A larger frame structure was built in 1859 and was used for a school as well as worship. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1885.
In 1888, a brick building was constructed as a replacement for the frame church that had burned. It was a one story building with a steeple and a bell that tolled at appropriate times. Music was provided by an organ which required manual pumping. Several a young men took turns operating the pump handle. The building served the church for thirty-six years until more space was needed. A lot was purchased for $6,000 on the corner of South Poplar and East Blythe Streets. The church was dedicated on April 27,1924. The "Little House" was added in 1952 for the nursery and kindergarten children.
The stained glass windows were installed in 1955 in memory of the Mitchum and Warren families. The Good Shepherd stained glass picture over the baptistery was given in memory of Richard W. Dunlap, our first full time minister. The beautiful stained glass picture is the oldest artifact in our church as it was first installed in the church on Dunlap and East Wood.
Our congregation has had a part in the ordination of seven ministers from our church. Many more outstanding ministers, leaders, and teachers have enriched the lives of men and women beginning at Paris and reach around the world!